Wellington, FL, Orthodontist Gives Tips On How To Prepare For Braces
You’ve made the decision to go ahead and get braces. Congratulations, you’ve made a wonderful decision to make your smile the brightest and straightest it can be. Our Wellington, FL, orthodontist has several helpful tips for your consideration on what you can and should do in preparation for your braces.
How To Plan Ahead For Braces, According To Our Wellington, FL, Orthodontist
- Be sure to have a proper dental cleaning prior to getting your braces.
- Plan to ease your mild discomfort with over-the-counter pain relievers containing naproxen sodium, ibuprofen, or acetaminophen.
- Prepare for proper oral hygiene while you have your braces.
Our Orthodontist in Wellington Recommends the Following for Keeping Your Teeth Clean
- Fluoride toothpaste and mouthwash – Fluoride helps prevent tooth decay and will help remove debris that brushing alone may not reach.
- A Waterpik – An electric or battery-operated toothbrush or a proxabrush may help remove plaque and clean behind or between the teeth and brackets and other hard-to-reach areas.
- An oral analgesic – This comes in liquid, gel, or paste, and it may help soothe sores inside your mouth while you adjust to your braces.
- A customized mouthguard – Participating in sports that involve physical contact with other players or a thrown ball could result in facial injury, stitches, veneers, or resetting the braces entirely if hit in the mouth. You should ask your orthodontist in LOCATION to provide you with a custom mouthguard once treatment has started since over-the-counter mouthguards typically won’t fit over braces or provide proper protection.
Getting braces is nothing to be afraid of at our orthodontic office in Wellington – it’s the next step in the process of perfecting your smile. Should you have any questions prior to getting braces, feel free to call our office for a free consultation.
This information is not meant as medical advice. It is provided solely for education. Our orthodontic office in Wellington, FL, would be pleased to discuss your unique circumstances and needs as they relate to these topics.