Many adults wrongly believe that braces and clear aligners are only for children and teenagers and that they’ve missed the window for orthodontic treatment. The truth is that it’s never too late to achieve your dream smile. In fact, one-fifth of all orthodontic patients are adults!
Many of Dr. Shullman’s adult patients turn to Invisalign as a discreet and comfortable alternative to traditional metal braces. Molded from transparent plastic and shaped to the contours of your mouth, Invisalign for adults gently guides your teeth into alignment, providing you with a winning smile.
Why Should I Get Invisalign As An Adult?
Formed from a clear, durable plastic material, Invisalign clear aligners are a far cry from metal braces. Their discreet appearance and smooth surface make them one of the most popular orthodontic treatments for adults.
As adults, we understand the role appearances play in our lives and that a straighter smile can provide you with added confidence. However, the benefits of Invisalign stretch far beyond appearances. Having straight teeth helps promote oral health, as crooked or overcrowded teeth can wear unevenly from use as we age.
By closing the gaps between your teeth, Invisalign ensures even wear, helping you maintain a balanced smile for the rest of your life. Closed gaps also prevent food from catching between your teeth, lowering the likelihood of tooth decay and gum disease.
Benefits Of Invisalign For Adults
Beyond providing you with a straight smile, Invisalign offers distinct advantages that many adults find appealing:
- Better Hygiene – Since metal braces are challenging to brush around, they can accumulate food debris and plaque, damaging your teeth. Since Invisalign can be removed, you can brush and floss as normal.
- No Brackets and Wires – Adults will often be put off getting braces due to their more visible appearance. The discreet nature of Invisalign allows your natural smile to shine through and is virtually invisible.
- Greater Comfort – While brackets and braces can catch on the inside of your cheeks and cause discomfort, Invisalign is form-fitted from smooth plastic and rests comfortably in your mouth.
- Easy Removal – Invisalign can easily be taken out for social events and other occasions, allowing you to show off your smile without hesitation.
- No Dietary Restrictions – Metal braces can be damaged by hard or sticky foods, requiring you to give up these foods during your orthodontic treatment. In contrast, Invisalign has no dietary restrictions because you take the aligners out while you eat and drink.
Caring For Your Smile While Wearing Invisalign
The fact that you can remove Invisalign without hassle may be its most enticing aspect. This gives you the freedom to brush and floss without the obstructing presence of braces. However, because you will be wearing the aligners for most of the day, you will need to brush your teeth after every meal to avoid plaque buildup between the aligners and your teeth.
Taking the aligners out to brush your teeth also presents a good opportunity to wash your Invisalign. Just brush your aligners with your toothbrush, rinse them with water, and be sure to put them back in when you’re done.
How Many Hours A Day Should I Wear My Aligners?
Even though we’ve highlighted the benefits of being able to remove Invisalign for adults, you should wear them as much as possible to ensure good results. Dr. Shullman recommends only removing your Invisalign while eating, drinking, brushing, or cleaning the aligners. While you can remove them for social events, try your best to keep the aligners on for at least 22 hours a day.